Sunday 7 July 2013

Sew with So Zo This Summer!

I'm lucky enough to be teaching some really fantastic classes this Summer before I go on maternity leave (if a self-employed person gets to call it maternity-leave). Some are classes I have taught before, some are newly developed so I thought I'd outline them all here in case any of them are of interest to you or someone you know who might want to develop their sewing skills and live in South-East England. 

The first three classes are at a new venue called The Village Haberdashery in North London. Its online shop has been going for some time, but it's bricks and mortar incarnation is a newer venture. I'm very proud to join the likes of Tilly and Karen who also teach there. 

Sew a Kid's T-Shirt
Saturday, 17 August, 10:30am - 1:30pm, £60



Take the fear out of sewing with knits while learning to make a classic kid's t-shirt! In this class, you'll be guided through the process of sewing a kid's t-shirt by, umm, me using the Figgy's Banyan pattern and fabric from the new organic Elk Grove Knits collection. The fabric and pattern are included in the course fee and you'll be able to choose from 10 fabric designs for your shirt. The pattern fits boys and girls aged 18 months up to 8/9 years.

For more info and how to book for the Kid's T-shirt class, click here.


Sew Your Own Knickers
Saturday, 17 August, 2:30pm - 5:30pm, £50


You could of course simply download my free knickers/pants/undies pattern and have a go yourself at home, but for those who would prefer a bit of extra guidance plus the hassle-free option of all the materials included, this is a great class to be lead on your undies-making journey. The undies elastic and fabric from the new organic Elk Grove Knits collection are included in the class price, so all you need to do is turn up! 

For more info and how to book for the knickers making class, click here.


The Renfrew Top class **UPDATE** MORNING CLASS SOLD OUT: AFTERNOON ADDED! 
Saturday, 31 August, 10:30am - 1:30pm, £80 **PLUS 2.30pm - 5.30pm**

(image source: Sewaholic Patterns)

The Sewaholic Renfrew pattern has become a firm favourite with the online sewing community. And with good reason, it is basically the perfect women's basic tee! In this class you'll learn how to sew with knit fabrics whilst making your own semi-fitted v-neck or scoop-neck t-shirt. The fabric and pattern are included in the course fee and you'll be able to choose from 10 fabric designs for your shirt from the new organic Elk Grove Knits collection. All being well, you'll leave class with a great new top and the confidence to tackle any knit pattern you've been coveting!

For more info and how to book for the Renfrew class, click here.


Saturdays, 27th July & 3rd Aug, £130

(image source: Sew Over It)

This is an awesome intermediate class to help you develop your dress making skills that introduces some techniques like gathering and inserting concealed zips. Make this pretty, retro-vibe dress that you can then make again and again, as you conquer sewing with slippery, drapey fabric. 

For more info and how to book for the tea dress class, click here.


Wednesdays, 7th & 14th Aug, £90

(image source: Sew Over It)

Possibly my favourite class to teach because I've yet to have a student that hasn't had an ace result. I wear my own pussy bow blouse made from this pattern all the time (even whilst I've been pregnant because of its looser fit), so I know just how practical and useful this garment is. Like the more complex tea dress class above, the pussy bow blouse class is a great class for those wanting to push themselves to try more challenging fabrics and some extra techniques like inserting sleeves etc. under supervision!

For more info and how to book for the pussy bow blouse class, click herehttp://www.thevillagehaberdashery.co.uk/classes-and-workshops/the-renfrew-top-2

16 comments:

johanna@projects by me said...

Those classes sound great! I wish I lived anywhere near so I could attend, but I don't.... :( And it would be so fun to meet you in person too.

Katie said...

Ooh - I hadn't seen your free patterns, definitely going to be making some undies soon! I went to the Billage Haberdashery yesterday, it's such a sweet little shop in a lovely part of town.

Amanda said...

I am so wishing I lived in the UK so I could take the pussy bow blouse class! I'm sure they are going to be yet another smashing success :D

Sewing by Shirley said...

Oh how I wish I lived there! I love the 1940s tea dress. Is there a pattern available somewhere to purchase?

Anonymous said...

Gosh, these are awesome classes! What fun! The Figgy's pattern looks awesome-- definitely downloading it to make some cool duds for my nephew!

thequirkypeach said...

I really wish I lived there so I could attend - I totally adore that 1940's tea dress - is there somewhere I can purchase/find that pattern???

sew rachel! said...

I SO wish I were on that side of the pond! I would love to take those classes!

Jen said...

I would be taking your tea dress and blouse classes in a heart beat if I lived there!

Are those patterns available just to buy? I would LOVE to make them if they are available :)

Juliette said...

I too love the 40s tea dress, but as I live in France I can't exactly come over and take this class as I would like, so I'm going to ask the same question as Shirley Ann : where can we purchase the pattern to make this dress? Oh, and is it available in/could it be shipped to France?

French Toast Tasha said...

Congrats Zoe! All these classes look great. No one in London should have any reason to fear knits after this!

Zoe said...

Hi everyone! Thanks so much for your lovely and supportive comments. I wish ALL of you who fancy doing so could come along to the classes!!!

Regarding the 1940s tea dress pattern's availability: YES!!! It will be available as a sewing pattern to buy before long. I've been assisting Sew Over It with writing the instructions so I can confirm that it is definitely happening. I will of course announce when it is available as soon as I know.

Zoe xxx

Sewing by Shirley said...

Oh I cannot wait for the pattern for the tea dress!! I'm so glad it will be coming available. Thanks for letting us know!

Susan said...

That's a lovely blouse, and I like your black and white version just as much. I wanted to take just that class when I was in London in June but it didn't fit into my schedule unfortunately. Is the blouse pattern available separately from the course?

Kelly Fox said...

Love the kids tee, I am one of those deathly afraid of sewing stretch and kits.

Anonymous said...

How fantastic, these classes look great! Wish I was in the area so that I could take some of them. Especially that really cute dress! Good look with them.

Anonymous said...

How fantastic, these classes look great! Wish I was in the area so that I could take some of them. Especially that really cute dress! Good look with them.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...