Saturday, 7 June 2014

Perfect Pattern Parcel #3: The Staple Dress


Pattern Parcel #3

I am a very lucky girl because someone saw fit to allow me to get involved in the third round of the Perfect Pattern Parcel enterprise. A quick recap about the Perfect Pattern Parcels: the organisers put together a package of PDF sewing patterns along a theme which have been created by indie designers. You can then purchase the pattern parcel for a price of your choice for a limited time only, and then ALL the profits go to supporting a charity called Donors Choose which funds and supports educational projects in the US. The first one I helped to promote was #2, the little girl's pattern parcel. Parcel #3 is a Spring/Summer womenswear set of delights and will be on sale here between 30th May and 13th June.

Pattern Parcel #3 includes:
Poppy Tunic by Make it Perfect
Water Bottle Tote by Radiant Home Studio
Jorna Tank Dress by Jenna Brand
Staple Dress by April Rhodes
Bombshell Swimsuit by Closet Case Files

Bonus Pattern: Choose a price of $28 or greater for Parcel #3 and you will automatically also be sent the Bonus Pattern! The Bonus Pattern for this Parcel is Prefontaine Shorts for Women by Made with Moxie. This shorts pattern has a retro trim, loads of pockets, two inseams and are so comfortable you won't want to take them off. Includes sizes 0 - 24. Exclusive launch on Pattern Parcel. Be the first to own this pattern!

Pattern Parcel #3

When I first got hold of the selection of patterns in parcel #3, I intended to make the Bombshell swimsuit (or swimming costume as I would call it) by Heather Lou. I've had my eye on that pattern for yonks and yonks (I'd make it in leopard print, and it would be amazing, FYI). But I had to be honest with myself about A) the time I have for sewing projects these days, and B) the lack of cash to splash on the fabric and notions required for a swimming costume project. Plus, I always prefer to make something from fabric I already own than to buy new fabric. So instead of the Bombshell, I chose a quicker make that I could stash-bust the hell out of. The Staple Dress by April Rhodes fit the bill.


The Staple dress is a lot like the Anda dress by Burdastyle (remember that?!) but a bit more finessed. A casual semi-fitted style with a gathered waist. It's a great canvas for a great print, however I couldn't find any printed fabric in my stash that was sufficient in quantity for this pattern. I've had this length of navy crepe since I worked in a shonky clothing company in London about seven years ago. It was a sample length that was literally put in the bin (I took it out when no-one was looking). It would be great for a flowy pair of trousers, like my Nautical palazzo pants perhaps, but it wasn't long enough. So although the Staple dress's instructions didn't include crepe in the recommended fabrics list, I thought I'd use it for the project anyway and it's worked really well.  


When I made the September Tunic/Dress pattern to help promote the #2 Perfect Pattern Parcel, I kept the make pretty simple and true to the basic pattern so people could see clearly what that pattern looked like. This time I thought a plain navy dress, although potentially classic and timeless, might be a bit boring so why not pimp the pattern with my own twist to show people how they could use the pattern as a template for something different? I hit my 'Modern Garments Sewing Inspiration' Pinterest board for some ideas. At first I though about some kind of ruffle detail, but I thought that might get lost in the dark colour so I opted for a contrast bib/tuxedo detail instead. The bib section itself is made from part of an old bedsheet and the navy plastic buttons also came from my stash so I had to buy nada for this project. WIN!


These Perfect Pattern Parcels are a great way to get hold of some excellent indie sewing patterns for far less than the total if you bought them all individually. In fact you can chose you own price depending on how flush you are feeling! What I also like is that, not only do you then own patterns that you know you really like, but also some patterns that might be growers and you may choose to make in the future (which is how I'm feeling about the Poppy Tunic in this #3 parcel actually...). The last parcel sale raised $1800 for the DonorsChoose.org charity, why not head over to the Perfect Pattern Parcel site and bag yourself some great patterns and help them raise even more?

Buy Pattern Parcel #3
If you still need some convincing, here are the links to a whole heap of AMAZING sewers who will be blogging about their versions of the various patterns for the duration of the sale:

Friday, May 30 Sew Busy Lizzy || Pienkel || SeamstressErin

Saturday, May 31 Design By Lindsay || the Brodrick design studio || Cookin' and Craftin'

Sunday, June 1 Diary of a Chainstitcher || a happy stitch || Disaster in a Dress || sew Amy sew

Monday, June 2 Idle Fancy || Casa Crafty || Kadiddlehopper || Dandelion Drift

Tuesday, June 3 Our Family Four || Casa Crafty || Cookin' and Craftin' || a happy stitch

Wednesday, June 4 Lexi Made || The Quirky Peach || Stitched || a happy stitch || Casa Crafty ||

Thursday, June 5 verypurpleperson || Casa Crafty || sew a straight line || Sewbon

Friday, June 6 Shawnta Sews || Mama says sew || a happy stitch || Cookin' and Craftin'

Saturday, June 7 Casa Crafty || sewninestitches || 'So, Zo... What do you know?'

Sunday, June 8 oonaballoona || A Stitching Odyssey || Sew Charleston

Monday, June 9 Sew Sweetness || True Bias || Ozzy Blackbeard

Tuesday, June 10 Welcome to the Mouse House || Sew Caroline || Adventures in Dressmaking

Wednesday, June 11 Peneloping || YoSaMi || sewVery

Thursday, June 12 la inglesita || La Pantigana || Sanae Ishida

Friday, June 13 Seamster Sewing Patterns || Paunnet

7 comments:

Kirsty said...

Zoe, this is such a great pimp of a classic dress. I love this and your red belt just makes the outfit pop. Love it x

Jenny said...

Wow, you dress is amazing! This really shows how the same pattern can look so different. The pattern parcel is a great idea.

Hana - Velvet Ribbon said...

Pretty dress and fabric choice! You look great in it, Zoe :-)

Sarah said...

Great dress, Zoe! I really like the contrast yoke.

Jill Dorsey || Made with Moxie said...

I love your Staple Dress version. Very nice and it looks fabulous on you! Now I wonder what it would look like with a ruffled tuxedo bib. Hmmm... :)

Thank you for sewing and sharing PPP!

JustSew Jenna said...

Wow, great dress!! I love the bib detail and the red belt! x

Sølvi said...

My goodness, woman - this dress is wonderful! I want it -now. :) You look amazing, and it is such a clever adaptation of a simple design! Well done. :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...