Friday 13 June 2014

Refashion Friday: Customised Rockabilly Cardigan


I know you've been missing Refashion Friday's here on this blog. It's ok, you can admit it. Whether you  regard customising as a form of refashioning or not (I do, clearly) here's a reminder that you can jazz up charity shop/thrift store scores with minimal fuss for high impact!  


I bought this dove grey cardigan in a charity shop when visiting my in-laws a few months ago. The fit and condition are great, and as useful as a plain grey cardi would probably be, I felt it was a bit too plain. Thanks to MMMay'14, I finally got round to customising and bringing it into regular wardrobe rotation, and it's now one of my very favourite items to wear. 


I've long admired the Rockabilly vibes of Collectif Clothing and other retro/repro brands. I love their kitschy 1950's style cardigans, so that is what I've been channeling here. In fact, I've just found this Bluebird cardigan which mine is very similar to mine, except I've got awesome buttons (care of the very lovely Catherine from Clothing and Sewing blog) as well as the swallow decals (which I bought in Madrid, FYI). These buttons are so fantastic, the gold anchors are on a clear base so the background kind of looks invisible. The decals are iron-on, but I carefully stitched round their outer edge as well so they wouldn't start to peel off after a few turns in the washing machine. 


7 comments:

Mother of Reinvention said...

I also consider customising to be a refashion and yiu have done a great job of revamping this plain cardi. The buttons and motifs are so cute. Very old school tattoo.

Marilla Walker said...

Loves it! I've been doing some kids refashioning this week. I?f I could insert a pic I would, but here's a link: http://marillawalker.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/mum-made-kids-stuff.html Totally inspired by me-made May and you!

Daisy Creates in Sussex said...

Nice work. I have some vintage dresses that either need taking out or in so I could work them as a refashion. MMM taught me it doesn't have to be all about "pure" sewing.

Sara said...

http://dollycool.co.uk/patches/4536289729 sells them too;-) superhigh quality and really fun to have on a cardigan!

Philippa said...

This is a great idea. I love the patches.

Hana said...

This is very cute! Love the birds and the buttons :) I am going to do some refashion garments, you have really inspired me. Thank you, Zoe :)

JustSewJenna said...

I love it! I really have missed refashion Friday too!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...